Sunday 4 March 2012

How to make Liverpool great again


You can change your wife, your car, your job, your house; but never your football club. The most successful club the world had ever seen, the biggest club the world had ever seen and a fan base spanning the whole world. The fans are as passionate as ever, but why aren’t we still the best? 

Go anywhere in the world now days and nine times out of ten if you ask someone to name the biggest football club in the Premier League, and they’ll say something with the word Manchester in it. As much as it pains me to say, the Mancs are well and truly on top of the pile. This season’s Champions League aside, they’re the ones to catch up with. Even Liverpool’s owners concede that we’re not number one... Liverpool is the second-most recognized football brand internationally.”

Back along the M62, Liverpool are simply dwelling in the shadows of our neighbours. But the fan base is there, the money is clearly ready to spend (See Andy Carroll and Jordan Henderson transfers). Where to start?

Let’s start at the top, our owners, Fenway Sports Group. Hurray! Most fans think. I myself am glad to see the back of the Hicks and Gillett circus, but are the new owners that much different? They’ve come in, promised to take the club back to its glory days, and invested a lot of money into the club. Let’s pop back to the 6th of Feb 2007. BBC Football reported, American tycoons George Gillett and Tom Hicks have reached an agreement to take over Liverpool. The pair, who each own NHL ice hockey teams, beat off competition from Dubai International Capital.” They also stated, “They have made clear their intention to move as quickly as practicable on the financing and construction of our proposed new stadium at Stanley Park and also to support investment in the playing squad." Fast forward to the more recent takeover, the same things are being said and happening. I’m not condemning the Fenway; I’m saying I think that they should be classed ‘Hero’s’ once they act on their promises, not purely for buying the club. As it stands, Liverpool can’t compete with the Manchester clubs revenue, because Anfield stands 25,000 seats smaller than there grounds. These promises MUST be kept, and not be deemed to the pile of broken promises; which always leads to a group of very hard done by supporters.

Away from the obvious, matters on the pitch are drawing me to tears. One word sums up my feelings, in-consistency. (I am aware that in all of my articles so far, this has played a major part. Deal with it.) One week we hear Alan Hansen say, “That looked like the old Liverpool”; and the next we’ll hear, “They’ve got a long way to go.” Well this has been the case for as long as I can remember. A diehard fan would jump straight to the conclusion that injuries to Steven Gerrard blight the season. Last time I checked, there is no I in TEAM. Our squad is pathetically average; Spearing would struggle to get a game at Wolves, not even the Geordies would take Carroll back, and the average age of our bench is estimated at around 29. As well as this, once a fortress, Anfield has become less and less formidable over the years, although the opposition do find it difficult to work out which Liverpool will turn up on match day.

The key to any successful team is strength in depth, as outstandingly demonstrated by Manchester City, and the only way to do it is spend big! Liverpool are forever being linked with the biggest prospects in the world; of course half of them are made up by someone like me, but in most cases there’s no smoke without fire! Only Barcelona can rely on their youth squads to produce the teams of tomorrow, for clubs like Liverpool, it’s got to be spend spend spend! So who should we target?

Obviously now I want to say Messi, Ronaldo and Van Persie. However realistically the player I would love to see at Anfield is Shinji Kagawa. I’ve only seen him play once or twice, even then he’s been electric; and reports from friends and fellow bloggers guarantee me that he’d light up the Premier League. Looking at his stats, 80 goals in 186 appearances isn’t too shabby!

Another realistic one, Junior Hoilett. My word, where did Blackburn find this kid? And how on earth did they keep him quiet for so long! He’s officially been at Blackburn since he was 13, although due to work permit issues, had to be loaned to clubs in Germany for the early stages of his career. And by gum didn’t that do him well! His pace down the wings is incredible; he is by far the crowning jewel in Blackburn’s crown. However destined to leave in the summer, I’d love him to pull on the red of Merseyside.

Last but not least, maybe the also the least realistic out of the three I have handpicked, is Daniel Sturridge.  I adore watching this boy play; he really does know how to play. Like Hoilett, his pace leaves defenders in their wake. As well as this, his commitment and ability in front of goal leave him as a HOT prospect.

Three players aren’t going to turn Liverpool’s fortunes around, but I believe they can kick-start the Red Revolution. But with a revolution, there are always casualties. As I’ve said, there are too many average players at LFC at the moment, and there needs to be a real and proper clear out. I believe that our FA Cup squad, Kuyt, Maxi, Spearing, Aurelio, should all be shown the door, bringing in vital cash that could lead to re-investment. We made £1 million pounds out of Konchesky, so imagine what Kuyt is worth!

I could write another two pages, although I feel by this point, you’re attention is wavering, so we’ll cut it short.

 As I’ve already said, I love my team, and dream of the day I can see my team at the very top again. Liverpool fans, dare to dream, and the sky is never the limit. At the end of the day, “Football is not a matter of life and death...it’s more important than that.”

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dave

    Loved reading your articles. We would love it if you would also post your articles to www.fanalistas.co.uk, a new site for fan journalists/bloggers like you. We can automatically import your articles to your fanalistas profile and then link back to your blog giving your work exposure to our growing online community. I have no doubt that your football coverage would attract a lot of readers with us.

    You can create an account here: http://fanalistas.co.uk/user/register.

    If you’re interested in the automatic import option or have any other questions please email me at james.fanalistas@gmail.com

    I look forward hearing from you. Keep up the great work!
    James

    Like us on facebook to enter our draw for an iPad 3 www.facebook.com/fanalistas
    Follow us on twitter @fanalistas

    ReplyDelete